Monday, January 5, 2009

downloading DDI content

from wizards forum:

"There's also the issue that some of us have had with being able to actually download and view Insider content. This is briefly acknowledged in Digital Insider #12, as a problem that WotC is aware of and being looked into. WotC no longer employs the fellow who wrote this however, so that particular issue may have fallen by the wayside; I don't know. In any case, fixing the problem does not appear to be a priority, it's on the backburner for now.

The work-around I use is pretty straight-forward once you know about it: Right-click on "See It Now!", right-click on "Save Target As". This brings up an option to save a html page, so I close the menu. Then, I right-click on "See it Now" (yes, again ), right-click on "Save Target As" (again). This time, an option comes up to save an actual PDF file. Good to go. In brief: Open, click, then close, then open (again), and save. This gets me past the "asp" page (whatever that is).

If I don't use the work-around, all I see is a page of gibberish. Insider PDFs are the only ones I've ever had trouble with. It's not just me, several others have posted similar problems. As already mentioned, it is acknowledged as a genuine problem in Digital Insider #12.

So, for those who don't know about this work-around then, it's possible for them to subscribe to Insider. Then, they find out that they're one of the unlucky ones, who can't actually see the stuff they've paid for."

No comments: